Plastic welding? Don't get lost, we will explain.
What are thermoplastics?
- Thermoplastics are plastics or resins that will become soft when heated and begin to harden when cooled without changing the properties of the material through the process. Thermoplastics are easily recycled compared to thermosetting polymers because the polymer chain doesn’t degrade when melted down.
Common thermoplastics are:
- HDPE (High Density Polyethylene)
- PVC (Polyvinyl chloride)
- ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene)
- And many more…
Here at Affiliation we use hot air to soften the material and then use the correct plastic rod to fuse the materials together. This is not like ” hot gluing” this is “fusion.”
There are many plastics and they have a lot useful properties including chemical resistance, antimicrobial properties, UV stable material and some are safe to come into contact with food.
Before choosing a material ask yourself these useful questions:
- What physical properties does this material need to have?
- Will this material be subject to severe weather or temperature swings?
- Is this material going to be under constant UV Light?
- What potential chemicals will the material come into contact with?
- Does this material need to be safe to come into contact with food?
All of these questions are viable and are necessary to find the correct plastic for your project.
We got you covered
When it comes to plastic welding in the front range we got your back! Here in Northern Colorado we are leaders in welding plastic professionally.
- Welding/ Fabrication
Here at Affiliation we offer a full service. We can help you get your project designed, machined and built whether it be a prototype, custom build or production run. Over the years we have developed techniques that will meet food and watertight standards.
Let's get started
Ready to start that project off right? Free quotes here!